Herbal Support in Lactation and Infant Care for the Health Professional
Presented by Melissa Cole, MS, IBCLC, RLC
Presented by Melissa Cole, MS, IBCLC, RLC
This course is online! Click HERE to sign up.
Course Description: An intensive workshop designed for birth and health professionals and those involved in the maternal-infant health community. The course is designed to enrich the professional’s understanding of how herbs can be used for lactation and infant issues. Plant medicine around the world has traditionally been an important part of postpartum care for parents and babies. In this workshop, we will cover herbal care strategies for parental issues such as milk supply concerns, breast and nipple care ideas (engorgement, mastitis, sore/damaged nipples, etc). We will also discuss herbal support for infant issues such as digestive problems (colic, reflux, etc), teething, immune support, sleep, and more.
Participant Testimonial: “Melissa, very informative! I appreciate your advice to start slow, improve my knowledge of three herbs well, rather than minimal knowledge of many. Great detailed information of the lactogenic foods as well.”
About Melissa Cole:
Providing personalized care so people can make an informed choice about herbal options is what I do. I want to help other health professionals do the same.
I’ve been an IBCLC since 2009 and have a master’s degree in Therapeutic Herbalism. I blend herbal knowledge with evidenced-based clinical care when working with families.
I have worked with thousands of families. I have consulted, taught, and spoken to thousands of lactation and allied health professionals. I love helping families work towards their wellness and feeding goals. I also love teaching and empowering other professionals. I see amazing results with herbs every day in my practice and want to share this knowledge.
Just like you, I work with families dealing with complex feeding issues, underlying wellness or mood concerns, newborn digestive issues, and other health-related challenges every day.
I don’t use herbs in my practice because I personally like them or because they are more natural. I use them because they WORK! I have families who come back again and again for herbal support because they see the results.
I want that for your clients and patients too!
As an IBCLC and clinical herbalist, I will empower you so you can:
- Critically think through herbal care strategies in your practice
- Know where to find the best herbal safety resources
- Personalize your herbal suggestions
- Share confidently about herbal support for supply issues, mood stability, breast/nipple infection and pain, and newborn/child issues like digestion, teething, and immune support.
This course includes:
- 11 recorded modules covering a wide variety of postpartum, lactation, and newborn care topics:
- Module 1: Introduction to Herbs: traditional and historical use of herbs, science, safety, how to critically appraise herbal evidence
- Module 2: Herbal Selection, Personalized Approach: dosing, combing, preparation methods, critical thinking, properties/actions of herbs
- Module 3: Herbs for Milk Supply Issues: what interferes with lactation and how herbs can help
- Module 4: Nutrition & Food for Postpartum Support: necessary nutrients for postpartum wellness, lactogenic foods, support for postpartum mood concerns, research, case studies
- Module 5: Herbs for Postpartum Mood: introduction to herbal postpartum mood and anxiety support, milk ejection reflex support, connection between mood and milk production
- Module 6: Personalizing Herbal Formulation and Case Studies: critical thinking principles for herbal support, process ideas, case studies
- Module 7: Herbal Support for Pain and Infection: causes of nipple/breast pain; herbal support for engorgement, mastitis, nipple damage, blebs, vasospasm
- Module 8: Introduction to Pediatric Herbs: pediatric herbal evidence/research, safety considerations, key questions, critical thinking, pediatric dosing
- Module 9: Herbal Support Strategies for Common Infant Issues: teething, soothing, immune, GI info, colic, reflux, gas, motility
- Module 10: Pediatric Herbal Case Studies: critical thinking about herbal support, case studies
- Module 11: Practical Herbal Preparation Methods: recipes, preparations, dosing and measuring
- A comprehensive handout listing 20 herbs, safety info, common dosing uses that you can easily print or refer to during consultations
- A handy reading and resource list
- Access to a private Facebook group that allows for ongoing support, learning and connection
- App accessibility! Our course will be in your pocket anytime you want to access it via the Kajabi app
- 11 IBLCE CERPs
Cost: one payment of $325 or three payments of $120, 11 IBLCE CERPs included
Excellent presentation. It will really help me to refine how I discuss herbal support with my clients.
Thank you for an excellent presentation. I am so happy to see a galactagogue talk from an herbalism perspective.
Melissa, very informative! I appreciate your advice to start slow, improve my knowledge of three herbs well, rather than minimal knowledge of many. Great detailed information of the lactogenic foods as well.
Wonderful presentation, Melissa. I learned a lot. Bookmarked a lot of great resources, too! Thank you.
I just wanted to write an email as we are finishing up this course and congratulate you on a job well done. You are really doing such a great service, I love how you answer questions and help your students solve problems and get great quality information. So many ladies who are nursing use herbs and it is really awesome to see someone so competent training. It is great for me too. Lactation is not something that was thoroughly covered in any of my course work as deeply as other subjects and I am happy to take your course and I feel confident if something comes up contacting you for mentoring help since you work in this area so much.
I've enrolled in three webinar courses over the past nine months and several others over the years. This course was excellent. This is what I think you did so well:
- Clear focus of the course and clear agenda for each module. This was lactation/infant specific and avoided slipping into more pediatric maladies or maternal general health.
- Your weekly video introduction to each module was personal and also set us up for learning specific topics.
- Beautiful and clear slides. The photos are lovely, the text was legible and not crowded with information.
- The follow up on FB was helpful. I enjoyed being able to share ideas and resources. I felt like I was in a class with an attentive teacher.
- The case studies made us put the information into action. I look forward to keeping in touch with the FB group.
Well done Melissa! Yours was the best online course I took all year and I’m using what I learned with all my clients….I have taken other trainings on herbs but didn't feel fully confident in suggesting them to clients until taking Melissa's course. Her Plant Medicine chart was one of the best educational tools I've ever used, and I refer to it all the time. I highly recommend this course not just to learn about herbs, but to develop your critical thinking skills.
Thoroughly enjoyed this course and the ability to take it at my own pace and re-watch modules. It was full of useful information, well organized, and a balanced perspective! Thank you!!
I just want to thank you so much for this amazing course. I can tell how much time and effort you put into this and I so appreciate it how detailed it is. Clearly the info on the galactagogues was quite helpful. I always feel lost when trying to help guide my clients because I'm not an herbalist but I do see that they really can help. At least now, I feel better able to match herbs with conditions. Thank you so so much!
I love it all! I will take all workshops taught by you.