About the founder of Luna Lactation
Melissa Cole, MS, IBCLC, RLC is a board certified lactation consultant, neonatal oral-motor assessment professional and wellness clinician in private practice. Melissa has been passionate about providing comprehensive, holistic lactation care and education to parents and healthcare professionals for over a decade. Melissa holds a bachelor of science degree in maternal child health and lactation consulting and her master’s work is in therapeutic, clinical herbalism. Melissa actively conducts research and collaborates with several lactation and health care professional associations.
Before pursuing a path in lactation, Melissa lived and studied in Japan. She was also a language instructor for almost a decade. From this background in culture and education sprung a deep love of supporting and educating families. Melissa also has an extensive background in herbal studies and holistic health. When not helping mothers and babies, Melissa can probably be found lecturing, researching, writing, or attending a conference; she is passionate about health and lactation, to say the least!
Experience and Qualifications
- International Board Certified, Registered Lactation Consultant (IBCLC, RLC), IBCLC#L-15109. The IBCLC is the only board certified healthcare professional that specializes in the clinical management of lactation. The IBCLC is the gold standard for lactation credentials. Visit the IBLCE website to read about our professional standards.
- Oral Motor Professional: Licensed Neonatal Oral-Motor Assessment Professional through NOMAS®., License #201312, certified Beckman Oral Motor Therapist
- Bachelor of Science degree in Maternal Child Health and Lactation Consulting
- Master’s of Therapeutic Herbalism
- Clinical herbalist with over two decades working with botanical medicine; specializing in women’s, pediatric and lactation botanicals.
- La Leche League Leader since (2004-2016), member since 2001. For information or to find an LLL support group in your area click here.
- Breastfeeding Counselor for WIC/County Health Department 2006-2010
- Adjunct professor at Birthingway College of Midwifery , taught advanced clinical lactation skills classes and more, 2011-2017
- Thousands of hours providing direct breastfeeding support to many, many families
- Active with several breastfeeding coalitions and organizations
- A deep commitment to keeping up to date through evidence-based continuing education, conferences, peer-review and on-going study
- Over 20 years experience studying and working with holistic and integrative health care, including extensive herbal and craniosacral therapy studies
- TummyTime!TM teacher – TummyTime! TM is vital for babies and helps them develop, grow and thrive.
- American Heart Association – Healthcare professional CPR certified
- International Lactation Consultant Association, member (ILCA)
- United States Lactation Consultant Association, member (USLCA)
- Oregon Washington Lactation Association, member (OWLA)
- Professional member of several ankyloglossia (tongue-tie) organizations
- American Herbalist Guild, member (AHG)
- Nursing Mothers Counsel, professional affiliate member (NMC)
- Birth Support Network, member (BSN)
- Baby Blues Connection, professional member and past outreach Committee member (BBC)
- Cole, M. (2014). Placenta Medicine as a Galactogogue: Tradition or Trend? Clinical Lactation, 5(4), 116-122. doi: 10.1891/2158-07184.108.40.206
- Cole, M. (2012). Lactation after Perinatal, Neonatal, or Infant Loss. Clinical Lactation, 3(3), 94-100.
- Cole, M., & Ghaheri, B. (2012, 11/19/12). The Basics of Tongue and Lip Tie: Related Issues, Assessment and Treatment
- Ghaheri, B. A., Cole, M., Fausel, S. C., Chuop, M., & Mace, J. C. (2016). Breastfeeding improvement following tongue-tie and lip-tie release: A prospective cohort study. The Laryngoscope, n/a-n/a. doi: 10.1002/lary.26306
- Ghaheri, B. A., Cole, M., & Mace, J. C. (2018). Revision Lingual Frenotomy Improves Patient-Reported Breastfeeding Outcomes: A Prospective Cohort Study. Journal of human lactation : official journal of International Lactation Consultant Association, 1(890334418775624), 0890334418775624.