Tongue and Lip Tie: A Comprehensive Approach to Assessment and Care
“Tongue-tie” has become quite a buzz word in some circles and is still quite unknown in others. Tongue and lip tie can cause causing restrictions in oral movement that can cause significant difficulty with breastfeeding and, in some instances, other health concerns like dental, digestive and speech issues. Melissa will present on tongue and lip tie including related health concerns, assessment and treatment strategies and aftercare. This workshop is excellent for anyone that clinically assesses infants, works with feeding issues, and/or provides lactation care. We will have hands-on time evaluating oral anatomy and function, review case studies, watch video and have plenty of time for in-depth discussion. We hope you can join us for an in depth weekend of tongue and lip tie related learning!
Note: Melissa is a long-time member of several tongue tie professional groups and organizations. She has been working for years to increase awareness and professional standards around the topic of oral restrictions such as ankyloglossia. While tongue and lip tie issues have been somewhat of a hot topic in recent years, there is much more to the subject that needs to be discussed. Proper evaluation techniques, understanding oral anatomy and pre-post frenotomy support is vital for healthcare professionals to take their knowledge about tongue and lip tie to the next level.
After this presentation,learners will be able to:
- Identify and assess restrictions of the lingual and labial frenulum in babies
- Identify unique issues and implement targeted care strategies for dyads pre and post frenotomy
- Understand the collaboration and team work involved when dealing with oral restrictions
- Identify community resources and advocacy issues regarding tongue and lip tie concerns
- Implement care for the dyad that is unique to the HCPs health care profession and SOP
Light snacks provided both days. Class size will be kept small so please register early.
COURSE LOCATION: Luna Lactation’s NW PDX office, details will be sent with registration.
*10 hours of L-CERPS (CEUs) will be applied for both IBLCE and Oregon Midwifery Council
* The hours from our workshops are usually accepted by DONA and other doula-certifying agencies, Oregon chiropractors and naturopaths have also been able to use our CEUs in the past but we can’t guarantee all certifying boards will.
If you are coming in from out of town there are several close hotels (Silver Cloud Inn, Northtrup Inn, Holiday Inn) and plenty of shops, stores and restaurants in the area all within walking distance.
August 12-13, 2017 (This class is currently full. Please email us to be on a wait list)
March 24-25, 2018 REGISTRATION OPEN
Cost: Registration: $300 (early bird $275), IBLCE CERPS if approved will be included, Oregon Midwifery Council CEUs if approved will be $10 extra.